Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Duck Derby

This past Sunday, the weather was gorgeous. Sunny and in the high 70s. After a 3-year absence, the Duck Derby is back at the Plaza! It is a fun-filled family event that benefits the Children’s Therapeutic Learning Center which serves children with developmental disabilities. For a good cause, you can adopt one of those cute little plastic duckies for just $5. In the afternoon, thousands and thousands of those yellow plastic ducks were dropped into the Brush Creek and then "raced" to the finish line!

As expected, the Plaza was very crowded that day. There was a kid zone with inflatables, games, hair and face painting, art center, etc. More importantly (for us!), there were plenty of food stalls selling pizzas, hotdogs, burgers and drinks. We had italian sausages and limemade for lunch! Yum!! Ruffy had a good time too. He got to meet and play with many friends!

Oh, and to our surprise, we saw the Howards! Andrew and Suyin were having a good time painting in one of the kids activity booths. Andrew played with Ruffy, and I was surprised that Suyin walked over and pet Ruffy too! She wasn't as afraid of dogs as she used to! I bet Ruffy gave both the kids some big wet kisses!
We didn't stay too long at the Plaza this time as Kyle wanted to watch the Euro Soccer finals. It was actually a pretty exciting game! The soccer game reminded me of the few times we watched the earlier rounds of the Euro games with those crazy Italian fans at the bars in Italy. Ah, I bet Kyle misses those evenings! I remember after one of the games, with a big smile, he said to me, "What could be more perfect than eating pizzas, drinking beer and watching soccer with the Italians??" I replied, "Me!" ;)

No comments: