Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Farewell Kansas City...

Saturday, Aug 16, 2008 - Our day started at 8-ish in the morning. We went down to have a full breakfast (we stayed at the Embassy Suites), drove back to our house to load up the boxes and plants that we were bringing with us, went to pick up Ruffy at PetsHotel, and then finally, we were on our way to Columbus!

I could see that Kyle was very excited!! For him, it was about time to move on to another city as he's been in KC for 3+ years, one of the places he had lived in the longest since after college. As for me, I took a moment to bid farewell to the city I've grown to love and call home for the past 9.5 years. I know I'll miss hanging out with my close friends in KC who have become my extended family througout all these years. We had countless great memories together -- Chinese New Year gatherings, Thanksgiving dinners, X'mas parties, birthday get-togethers, potlucks, Superbowl grill-outs, ski trips, and so many many more!! I realize that I am "spoiled", having so many wonderful and supportive friends in my life! :)

Back to the roadtrip. The drive was pretty uneventful, which is not a bad thing, I think. After the long 12-hour drive, we finally arrived in Columbus!! Phew!! We were surprised that Ruffy did pretty well on his 1st long drive. He was so excited in the morning, jumped right into the car thinking that we were bringing him to a dog park. Poor doggie! He didn't know that he was about to endure a boring 12-hour trip in a cramped backseat to a new place that he hasn't been before!

We arrived at the corporate apartment about 10 mins prior to Phelps's quest for his 8th gold at the Olympics. We were planning to watch him swim no matter what, either stopping by a sports bar or getting to the apt in time for it. We were so glad that he won yet another gold for the US!

Ruffy didn't seem to understand why we were cheering at the tv, so he proceeded to sniff the entire apt to his heart's content! ;) After a long intense sniffing at every corner of his new home, he's finally satisfied and jumped onto the couch to rest. It was just slightly after 11pm ET, so we decided to walk across the street to the Easton Town Center to have a few drinks and dessert. The Cheesecake Factory is the closest restaurant, so we both had a couple of well-deserved drinks, and also, of course, a calorie-packed turtle cheesecake, rewarding ourselves after a long and tiring day!! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you (three) are off to an exciting start! Good luck to your new life.

Elaine - happy belaaaaaated birthday...! sorry :P better late than never i guess.. hehe..

stay in touch!
janelia